Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount that successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
An NHS exemption certificate helps you to pay for your NHS costs, such as prescriptions or dental treatment. Check if you have an exemption from paying NHS costs below
The current prescription charges are:
- Prescription (per item): £9.35.
- 3-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £30.25.
- 12 month prepayment certificate (PPC): £108.10.
If you will need to pay for four or more prescription items in three months, or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
- PPC telephone advice line 0300 330 1341.
- General Public – Buy or Renew a PPC Online